Monday, May 3, 2010

Day 1 of our first family trip to Haiti

So, it's been a long, long while since I've posted anything to this blog. Then again, the blog is supposed to be about our times in Haiti, and we hadn't been to Haiti since '07 ~ so I guess that explains the long silence!

The entire family got to go to Northwest Haiti March 31 - April 12. What a trip. Internet was quite limited for our time there, so I kept a paper journal. [Paper is that smooth, cotton stuff that comes in sheets. Normally, people use those little rounded sticks with points at the end to make markings on the paper. These markings can be read, just like typing on a computer screen. It's all rather amazing, I know.] The following posts will be transcriptions from that journal.

*********

DAY 1

********

March 31 - Wednesday

We made it to the airport in plenty of time, even though we left a whole hour after we'd planned. The dogs went to the Kubica's house ~ they're living in the lap of luxury there! It's so nice to know they'll be well cared for while we're gone. The Platts are taking care of the cats and taking the dogs for walks each day. So glad that's all taken care of!

When loading our bags into the truck, Tim realized we had [er, that means I had] somehow packed two more bags than allowed by the airline. I have no idea how that happened, except perhaps I was just groggier than we realized last night. Quick like a bunny, I had to quickly unload two bags worth of stuff ~ yikes! Trying to decide which donated items were most important (it was ALL good stuff and ALL could have been used) was sort of gut wrenching. Still, unpacking was definitely easier than packing, and I had it done in a jiffy.

I'm excited again to be going now, but was really doubting this whole trip all day yesterday. I was trying to finish packing ~ had been packing for 4 days straight ~ and totally losing all perspective. I was pretty much freaking out and being so grumpy with everybody unlucky enough to cross my path! It was one of those days, I'm sure, when Tim wondered who this woman was to whom he was married.


Monday night at Boy Scouts, Stephen badly sprained his ankle. It was hugely swollen - HUGE - people heard about it and tons of folks started praying for him. By Tuesday afternoon it was getting better, much to my surprise. This morning he woke up and didn't even remember that he'd sprained it at first. He came walking down the hall to the kitchen and we all asked, "How's your ankle?"

"My ankle? Huh?......(*long pause*) Oh yeah! My ankle! Wow, it's all better! Cool! It doesn't hurt at all. Guess I don't need to take those crutches to Haiti after all."

On the plane, just a minute ago, I asked Stephen, "So, does your ankle really feel better?"

"Yeah, mom, it really does. Pretty amazing, huh?"

Yep, I'd say that's pretty amazing. But God is just cool like that. Somehow, this whole ankle deal reassures me of all my doubts about the trip being a mistake. I can't believe just 12 hours ago I was so full of doubts and questions ~ now that we're on the plane, I can't imagine NOT going - I'm so excited for the younger 3 to see Haiti for the first time, and to see what God will do with our time there, and to see how much He loves the people there, and how sweet they are. I can hardly wait to get there. Thank you, Father, for getting me through my Sea of Doubt and getting us all on our way!






No comments: