Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Home, Sweet Home!

We made it back to Texas - a day later than we thought, but we still made it! Hugging my husband and kids was like wrapping up in a cozy fleece blanket with a favorite book. How I missed their hugs!!

The flight out of Haiti was delayed by about 4 hours due to "crew legalities". Not sure what that means, but I think it may have something to do with working too many hours without a break. This inconvenienced a lot of folk trying to make connecting flights, but for us it was a welcome change of plans. Hannah-Grace picked up a GI thing (we assume from the orphans), and felt dizzy, weak, achey, clammy and naseous at the airport. She could hardly stand up and was running a fever. I wondered how she would make it through an entire day of running through airports. The delay meant she could sleep a few hours on the chairs in the gate area. Then, because we missed the last flight out of Miami to Dallas, American Airlines put us up in a Holiday Inn AND gave us meal vouchers for Dinner, Breakfast and Lunch the next day. The vouchers don't quite cover the cost of a real meal, but since Hannah wasn't eating, we had plenty of money to cover my food! We made it to the hotel, where Hannah collapsed into bed, getting up only for sick visits to the restroom. She slept all the next day until 2 p.m. Tim called in some LoMotil (sp?), which enabled her to go to the airport and fly without incident. We arrived back in S.A. at 9:55 and discovered one of our bags was lost, which of course meant we didn't get out of the airport for another hour, due to filling out all the required paperwork. Driving up to our house around midnight, I was greeted by our beautiful outdoor Christmas lights - so pretty! Tim and the kids added more while we were gone.....the scene is beautiful!! Then, of course, the sparkly tree - and our faithful dogs - welcomed us as we walked in the entry hall. AH......HOME. I wish everyone in the world could live in such a warm and secure place. Why did God choose to bless me so abundantly, and not all those millions of people, just like me, living all over the rest of the world? I don't mean to question His goodness, because I KNOW Him to be very, very good. Time and again over the last 20 years since He opened my eyes, (but really over my entire life), I've seen that He is the Only One who is truly good and can always be trusted. I know I could never begin to understand His reasons or His grand plan. But, oh, how I wish there didn't have to be such suffering for so many in this world.

3 comments:

Lara said...

Hi Linda! I'm so glad you'll made it home and I hope that Hannah is feeling better now. Zoe got sick with the same thing on Monday, but it seems to be running its course quickly. I sure enjoyed meeting you and Hannah!

livingpurereligion said...

Hey Linda! It was so great to meet you and Hannah. I hope that she is feeling better. One of my suitcases got lost, too. Not fun.

It was a joy to see you and your daughter interacting with the kids at the orphanage. It was clearly God's love shining through you. The kids LOVED their boxes. Thanks for putting that together!

When you get a moment, could you send me any of the pictures you might have taken of Rebecca and I. You can email them to ckboone@hotmail.com

Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Thanks, y'all! Love, Linda