Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Well, we made it!!

Hannah-Grace and I safely arrived at the Methodist Guest House, and settled into our room. We're sharing a room with Tina, an adoptive mom with 4 bio kids - one in college, youngest 13 yrs., I think. Also with Cara, who is adopting 2 boys. Not sure if she has kids at home. The kids are staying in the Guest House with us, so all the beds are full and things are a little crazier around here than the last time we stayed with almost all adults.

Our flight was a tad on the bumpy side, due to that tropical depression what's-her-name (guess I'll be hearing more about her tomorrow). No weather on the ground, however...aside from a few raindrops. We'd appreciate prayers regarding the storm, however, as I'd prefer not to experience any foul weather while here! =)

So far, all Hannah has experienced is the flight, the airport (which was a total zoo this time) and the Guest House. She likes the Guest House best. Big shocker there! When we arrived, it was totally dark, which is partly why I think the airport was worse than before. I think people in general are a little more agitated here after dark, and then the funky weather, and .....well, I don't guess I know why, but it was a little crazy and rather disconcerting for me as a mom. I was wondering, "What was I thinking, bringing my baby to this place?!?!?!" Okay, I realize, my "baby" is taller than I am, but I was still doing quite a bit of praying/panicking all rolled up into one! Thankfully, it all turned out fine; but I'm glad our return trip is in daylight.

Here's an excerpt from an email Hannah Grace sent her dad, sister, grandparents and best friend:

"THere are Roosters crowing here - and NOT quiet ones - (are there such a thing?), It makes me think of the ranch with the peacocks.... Only THEY aren't so loud. By the way, they are very CONFUSED roosters it's only 9:46 pm!!!!!! Soooo........ We got to Haiti....(which I guess you fugured out by now). As soon as we had FINALLY gotten all of our bags and went outside, well, you'll see..... So, as I was saing, when we got outside there were TONS and TONS of people watching us from behind this railing thing, not to mention the just plain old half of a Ton of people NOT behind a rail thingy! YIKES!!! People immediatly started pushing to help us with our bags, all of who were, lets just say, not Quiet people. EVERYONE was yelling and SCREAMING!! hee-hee! Yeah - pretty hectic....... Anyhoo, There was this one big man that kept screaming at everyone trying to help us get our bags through the incredibly crowded, busy, and not-so-well-made street - "NO TOUCH ANY THIS!!!!!!! - NOO TOOUCH ANY THIS!!!!!!! NO TOUCH ANY THIS!!!!!". Which as far as I could figure out ment - "these people you don't steal from, no stealing or taking their stuff!". At one point I was trying to push my crooked wheeled cart of luggage behing a certain man, I knew I had to follow someone, and this guy (we had been talking to him on the plane ride) was on the 3Angels board and knew what he was doing,the rest of the group was behind me, and people blocked my view of the guy I was following!!! DOUBLE- YIIIIIIKES!!!!!! I ended up back withe group but it was PRETTY scary! One last funny note - as we were getting on our taxii-bus-thing, there was a man playing the trumpet (for muulah of course) right in the middle of the very crowded and very traffic crazy filled parking lot (can you say let's get run over?) and he played, among many other american hymns, a few jazz tunes, the happy birthday song and such - was "the star spangled banner". WEIRD! So... HOW did he learn to play that again??? he-he!!!!Love You and Miss you!!!! ~Hannah

P.s. - the guest house is REALLY safe, and safe-feeling, Which is LOVELY! Oh, and I know the email sounds sort of pessimistic but it is fun now that I'm in the guest house and OUT of the taki-taxi! Someone told me that was the worst it's ever been getting out of the airport, which, if that's the worst ,it's not THAT bad. Love yall -HG."

If you're in a praying mood (or even if you're not?!), pls. do pray that the One who loves my daughter even more than I do will keep her SAFE and SOUND and even that He would give her a GREAT travel experience. And of course, that He would do whatever He knows is best for us and all the orphans here while we're here (and that we'd trust Him as He does so!).

Guess this post is getting a little too heavy! I think I need to catch some zzzzz's. Thanks for reading! -Linda

One more thing: One of the children from the orphanage who is staying in the guest house is named Justin. He is pretty sick. His fever is 105.3 currently. Poor thing. They can't get to a doctor at night, so we're just keeping cool rags on him and giving him motrin. Pls. pray for him as well. He is sleeping in our room, so that's just another reason I'm praying for Hannah's well being.

Gotta run and get some sleep!

3 comments:

Michelle said...

I'm so glad someone posted about arriving!! I wish I were there. I'm praying for all of you that you have a GREAT trip!!

Anonymous said...

So glad you made it safely! Can't wait to see more pictures. Praying for you and the kids.

Love,
Toni

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Toni and Michelle! IT was a great trip! Thanks for your prayers --- we needed them. Please, if you would, pray for Justin and his little adoptive brother. They were sick the entire time we were there, and when their mom, Cara, had to leave at the end of the week, they were still sick. It was so hard on her, and of course, on the boys as well. Would you pray that God would restore these two precious little guys to health?