Thursday, December 13, 2007

Playing Santa

Hannah Grace and I stayed up really late last night, decorating boxes full of Christmas gifts for the kiddos. We had so much fun. We're still not done....we'll finish tonight (we hope). The big Christmas party is Saturday. Woo Hoo! Hannah continues to be everyone's favorite toy -- so lifelike!! =)

I had a migraine today, which wasn't fun.

This afternoon, a little girl fell down - hard - and hit her head on the cement. I felt like we could relate to one another -- both needing something that just couldn't be found in our little corner of Haiti: ICE!! As I was rocking her and trying to give her comfort, I couldn't help but reflect on all the comforts of home I have at my fingertips whenever one of my children is sick or gets hurt. I longed to be able to run to my freezer and push the "crushed ice" button to make a little icepack for her. But, of course, that's just not a possibility! She has a knot on her forehead now, but of course, all the tears have dried. Apparently, ice isn't quite as necessary as I'd always thought.

The boys who were staying in our room with the super high fever have now passed their illness on to their adoptive mom. She's been throwing up all day in our room. I'd REALLY like for Hannah and I to NOT get sick -- not now, not when we get back and have only a week b4 Christmas, not at all!! Here we are, surrounded by so many profound needs, and all I can think about is my daughter's and my well being and convenience. Pretty shallow and self-centered, I know. But, I am SO hoping we don't get sick. If you'd like to enable my self-centeredness =), I'd love any prayers in that regard. OKAY-- in the middle of writing the above sentence, one of the guests here came running upstairs to tel l me there had been an "accident" and Hannah needed a new set of clothes. It seems one of the orphans threw up all over her. I have just returned from bringing the clothes, and I can confirm: never have I seen that much throw up on one person. Lovely. I am amazed at my daughter -- she wasn't even upset about it, but felt sorry for the little kid! Meanwhile, I was totally grossed out.

I think now would be a good time to reflect on our children's memory verse.

"Lift your eyes and look to the heavens: Who created all these? He who brings out the starry host one by one, and calls them each by name. Because of his great power and mighty strength, not one of them is missing. Do you not know? Have you not heard? The LORD is the everlasting God, the Creator of the ends of the earth. He will not grow tired or weary, and his understanding no one can fathom. He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak. Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall; but those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint." -Isaiah 40:28-31

I'm glad He isn't tired or weary....b/c I sure am. I will hope in the Lord and look to Him to renew my strength - body, mind and soul.

I wish we could find a germ free place to sleep tonight. No time to worry about that right now, though. We've still got lots of Santa work to do!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

we are all enjoying the blog!! we'll email you more personal stuff
tim

Anonymous said...

SORRY EVERYONE AROUND YOU IS SO SICK. I THINK THAT IT IS SO AWESOME THAT YOU GOT TO GO BACK TO HAITI SO SOON AND TO BE ABLE TO BE THERE WITH YOUR DAUGHTER, JUST AWESOME. I'M ENJOYING THE BLOG AS WELL KEEP IT COMING, WE ALL CAN NOT GET ENOUGH. WE PLAN TO RETURN TO HAITI IN JULY. IT WOULD BE SO COOL IF TIM AND YOURSELF COULD BE THERE WITH US AGAIN. WE SO ENJOYED HAVING YOU TWO AROUND. GOOD LUCK AND BE SAFE. MAY GOD WRAP IS HANDS OF PROTECTION AROUND YOUR WHOLE TEAM. YOUR FRIEND IN SURPRISE, AZ. JEFF MAZE

Anonymous said...

Thanks Tim and Jeff! We'll see about July....it's a possibility! -Linda